Treating goat listeriosis
I didn't want to admit
it in my previous goat post, but Artemesia is starting to trend worse
again rather than better. The downturn began a few days after we cut
out the penicillin...which leads to the unpleasant conclusion that she
may be suffering from the more serious listeriosis (a bacterial
infection) rather than goat polio (a thiamine deficiency).
to be notified when new comments are posted on this page? Click on the
RSS button after you add a comment to subscribe to the comment feed, or simply check the box beside "email replies to me" while writing your comment.
Luckily, the vet is back
in town and he was willing to talk to me on the phone rather than
making us put our poor goat in the car and drive to his office. He
suggested switching her over to a different antibiotic --- tetracycline
--- and adding in an anti-inflammatory (banamine). Meanwhile, he told
me that it probably didn't hurt her, but the dosages I'd drawn off the
internet (7.3 mL of penicillin (300,000 units per mL) and 2 mL of
thiamine (500 mg/mL) three times a day) were too high for a 73 pound
goat. Instead, he says all she needs is 3 mL of antibiotic and 1 mL of
thiamine once a day.
As the family's newly
skilled needle jabber, Mark will be glad to learn we're down to two
shots per day. I hope that Artemesia is similarly relieved by the
change in drugs and starts back onto the path to recovery.