The Walden Effect: Farming, simple living, permaculture, and invention.

Goat date

Monte and Arty

We had our first goat date today.

His name was Monte Cristo, and it only took a minute of small talk before he got down to business.

Artemesia rode nicely in the backseat of our car with zero accidents.

Anna Hess's books
Want more in-depth information? Browse through our books.

Or explore more posts by date or by subject.

About us: Anna Hess and Mark Hamilton spent over a decade living self-sufficiently in the mountains of Virginia before moving north to start over from scratch in the foothills of Ohio. They've experimented with permaculture, no-till gardening, trailersteading, home-based microbusinesses and much more, writing about their adventures in both blogs and books.

Want to be notified when new comments are posted on this page? Click on the RSS button after you add a comment to subscribe to the comment feed, or simply check the box beside "email replies to me" while writing your comment.

After looking at the Dad and Mom, I wonder what the Kid will look like!
Comment by Sheila Sat Nov 28 19:59:51 2015

Sheila --- Monte's owner was wondering that too. I guess it's time to making guesses!

Artemesia's father actually looked a lot like Monte, which suggests to me that black is dominant but that she's heterozygous for the coloration. Based on that, you'd expect a 75% chance of black babies and a 25% chance of cream babies. Of course, goat genetics are likely to be a bit more complicated than that simple analysis suggests.

(And maybe you didn't really want a mathematical answer. :-) )

Comment by anna Sat Nov 28 20:56:18 2015
He totally looks like a bro. You can tell she's way smarter than he is and she's like, really, this is who you found for me? Next time I do my own matchmaking.
Comment by Heather Sat Nov 28 21:22:57 2015
I'll cross my fingers that one visit did the trick, and you don't have to bring Artemesia back to visit the Count!
Comment by Emily Thu Dec 3 10:22:23 2015
Heather and Emily --- You both made me laugh. :-)
Comment by anna Sat Dec 5 06:47:20 2015

profile counter myspace

Powered by Branchable Wiki Hosting.

Required disclosures:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn a few pennies every time you buy something using one of my affiliate links. Don't worry, though --- I only recommend products I thoroughly stand behind!

Also, this site has Google ads on it. Third party vendors, including Google, use cookies to serve ads based on a user's prior visits to a website. Google's use of advertising cookies enables it and its partners to serve ads to users based on their visit to various sites. You can opt out of personalized advertising by visiting this site.