The Walden Effect: Homesteading Year 5. Farming, simple living, permaculture, and invention.

Homestead Blog

Innovations:

Homesteading Tags

Recent Comments

Blog Archive

User Pages

About Us

Submission guidelines

Store

Homesteading and Simple Living Comments

Comments in the moderation queue: 2

View the most recent comments below. To join in the discussion (or see a comment thread in order), click on the title of a comment, then follow the directions on the subsequent page to add a comment of your own.

Email me about your property please.
Comment by Rick Lee Mon Dec 10 14:43:23 2018
When we lived in central Florida one of my friends had a large cactus in her front yard. I made a fantastic (and gorgeous) jelly with prickly pear, apple and jalapeno. Just a little spicy. And a prickly pear margarita is one of my favorites.
Comment by Sue Tue Dec 4 15:25:14 2018
I keep forgetting to tell you how much I enjoyed that day. The weather was perfect for such a hike and the little picnic was fun.
Comment by bleueaugust Mon Dec 3 11:38:49 2018
You have a beautiful place!! If I could scrape 13K together, I would grab it in a heartbeat... just bad timing on my part. Sigh...
Comment by Jean L Finley Sat Dec 1 10:03:09 2018
I hope you don't stop posting on this blog! We really enjoy hearing about what you are doing. You are wonderfully interesting people.
Comment by Kirsten Tue Nov 27 23:23:40 2018
Is very difficult to process, and does not contribute nitrogen to the soil. It grows very quick in hot summer.
Comment by Mike Tue Nov 27 21:56:36 2018
prickly pear grows all over the desert southwest, too, and is a common part of cuisine around here. you can shred & pickle the pads (nopalitos) and they are often sold jarred in grocery stores, or shred & eat fresh in salad. to get the spines off, soak them, and then use tongs to slip the food from the skin. the fruit (tuna) is usually processed into jelly, syrup, or juice (agua fresca) before being eaten. the seeds are not edible, though i don't think that swallowing one would hurt you, but it'll break your teeth if you try to chew it. ;) i would reccomend soaking them to loosen the skin and then slipping the skins off with tongs, then juicing. from there, it makes a great margarita mixer. ;) or syrup! with a boatload of pectin, you can make jelly from it.
Comment by yarrow Tue Nov 27 19:03:05 2018
Well don't totally go away! I will sign up for the email alerts. :) And let us know when the old place sells!
Comment by Eric Mon Nov 26 18:58:39 2018
Have been following along for years after coming across your blog entries multiple times when researching various gardening subjects. Since we are in the same USDA zone, and you are way more organized than I, Iv even used your posts as a reminder when I am behind on annual planting. So Il just add my agreement to those who have said whatever you feel like writing, Il keep reading. Best of luck.
Comment by Nick Mon Nov 26 13:04:11 2018

Hi Anna,

Perhaps it could become an open place where anyone can share their growing tips? without the usual commercial harassment.

John

Comment by john Fri Nov 23 03:48:44 2018

Your blog has been your sharing, and I really love all the variety, esp. the problem-solving ones (with Roland's answers!) but also the good photos. I can see you are less dependent now on the blog, yourselves. I think keeping your hand in, with weekly, or even bi-weekly blogs, which wd of course be less spontaneous, might be useful for both you and your readers, esp. with the plant-starting indoors season coming up. Your planting and home-improvement facets are the comfort zone, for me. But I think your own needs should come first. Since I really don't know the problems of maintaining a blog, maybe before you do leave for good, if you do, you could share some of this? That is, how you have developed a blog. This might be very useful for even HS students

When there are life-changes, I always think of Dylan Thomas' Farewell to the long-legged BAIT"--yes, your blog has been a bait! If you have to release it, we can still check back...!love, mom

Comment by adrianne Wed Nov 21 08:36:46 2018
Just wanted to chime in to say that I enjoy reading your blog. I appreciate your commitment to posting every day - I like that you choose to share with us. But I can also appreciate the burden that puts on you, and how it might keep you from relaxing and enjoying your new life (which is still filled with interesting, but different, activities). I hope you will continue to post, even at a reduced frequency. Your outlook is refreshing and I like how you're taking time to enjoy your new town and all it has to offer.
Comment by Rhonda from Baddeck Tue Nov 20 23:23:52 2018
Well thank you for all the years of sharing your lives with us. I will miss your daily adventures, but totally understand. Best of luck with this next stage of your lives.
Comment by P Tue Nov 20 10:55:13 2018

I've always enjoyed this site as an escape from from political/twitter feeds. If it's to be less a once a week - perhaps a bit more on the one, including video. I enjoy "process" how one overcomes/fixes/finds the way whether garden/tools/repairs.
good luck!

Comment by Jim Tue Nov 20 10:06:44 2018

Although I fully understand wanting to not HAVE to write something each day, I certainly will miss my bedtime reading!!!

Love to both of you.

Sheila

Comment by Sheila Tue Nov 20 00:42:32 2018
Iā€™m a longtime follower. I love your varied content. you may think some of it mundane, but I so love your pictures and short vignettes of your life. You open my eyes to other possibilities šŸ™‚
Comment by Heather Allen Mon Nov 19 20:01:14 2018
I enjoy reading what you are doing even if it isn't 100% homestead related. There is almost always some nugget of information that I can take away from your posts.
Comment by Ned Mon Nov 19 17:07:49 2018
Hi Guys, I very rarely comment, but I wanted to know that I really like the shift the blog has made. Of course, it is different from when I first started reading the blog years ago, but all things change with time. To me, it's just like a friendship that started in college and progressed through life. It's different but still valued.
Comment by Liz Mon Nov 19 13:13:09 2018
Thanks for the information.
Comment by Chris Thomas Mon Nov 19 12:43:42 2018

So the original version of this trap wasn't with a 50 gallon drum.

In the original version, you dig a narrow trench just wide enough that the turkey will be able to walk down, but narrow enough that it won't be able to spread its wings. You want to make the deep end of the trench deep enough that the turkey can't jump out.

Bait the deep end of the trench with corn. As the turkey walks down into the trench to eat the corn, it will get stuck and not be able to fly away, and they're not smart enough to figure out that they can simply walk backwards out of the trench.

Comment by Phil K Wed Nov 14 11:58:26 2018
at present I have to use a screwdriver to short the solenoid to start. once I start it's good to go all day. new solenoid,replaced the end of the cable new battery.What gives?
Comment by Walter Wallace Tue Nov 13 13:37:56 2018
Black eyed susans aren't bothered by deer and require no care. But don't plant phlox which are also easy - deer eat the buds off the top and they don't get to bloom. Deer don't seem to like my salvias, either perennial or annual.
Comment by Anonymous Mon Nov 12 22:28:17 2018

That's a good bit of carrots.What variety did you plant? I missed not having a garden this year. There will definitely be one next year.

Comment by bleueaugust Sun Nov 11 20:31:12 2018
We live in an area with lots if deer and have had good luck with coneflowers and Bee Balm.
Comment by Pam Kaufman Sun Nov 11 13:30:46 2018
Herbs that flower are great pollinators and easy to maintain. I like chives, oregano, hyssop and sage as bed accents. I also have some purple and white irises that the deer leave alone. I also throw in a lot of marigolds because they dont like their scent. I have TONS of deer so anything delicious to them is always chewed to a nub like my tulips. I am experimenting with planting tulips
Comment by Torina Sun Nov 11 12:53:50 2018
Huecheras have beautiful foliage almost year-round. They grow well in shade or moderate sun and critters leave them alone!
Comment by Emily Springfield Sun Nov 11 10:40:30 2018
The deer, rabbits, voles and slugs seem to leave alone the wild foxglove and California poppies, and established calendula and nasturtiums, all of which are prolific with seeds to save for next season. The oregano, garlic chives and lavender remain pretty much untouched, but need protection to give them a fighting chance to overwinter. Of course be very careful that you don't ingest foxglove (digitalis) and you may want to skip it all together if you're growing comfrey (aka bone-knit). There is an old story here about a couple who mistook foxglove for comfrey - not a good outcome.
Comment by PNW Jenny Sun Nov 11 09:06:50 2018
I'm not a patient guy either. But, we discovered long ago that time is our friend when it comes to cleaning carrots and potatoes. We put them in cold water and go away. Let them sit and soak for awhile. Then, later, the cleaning and scrubbing just seems to go so quickly. Cheers!
Comment by Tim Inman Fri Nov 9 09:11:55 2018
Congratulations you have a square pond.
Comment by Anonymous Thu Nov 8 17:41:18 2018
I fully understand your problem. I am wondering if my yard will ever be dry again. We have been getting about 5" of rain almost every week for the past month or two or more.
Comment by Sheila Wed Nov 7 22:54:16 2018
Cut tops into strips, slice some onions, green and or colored peppers in the same manor, add to cold water, in a saute pan heat some olive oil, add black pepper, bring pan to a frying heat. Drain vegetables, and carefully drop in hot oil (big hand fulls to cool the pan) stir mixture to prevent burning and wilt the leaves and peppers, reduce heat. cover Cook to desired tenderness, salt.
Comment by Darryl Cannady Wed Nov 7 18:03:36 2018
Good luck - but this is part of Ohio we get more rain than people realize. Though on the Ohio River Valley even heavier - more than Seattle.
Comment by Jim Wed Nov 7 10:43:09 2018
Great Pic of Rosie in her UK Jacket! Per https://www.seedsavers.org/dwarf-blue-curled-organic-kale Can be overwintered with mulch as far north as Zone 4
Comment by Jayne Wead Tue Nov 6 11:15:38 2018
I avoided buying a tpost puller for years but once I did I have never regretted it. Remember we only get one back working smarter not harder.
Comment by Olan Lambert Sun Nov 4 20:31:41 2018
I used a 5.5' pry bar to pull up the stakes. It's more multi-functional.
Comment by Christopher Milton Dixon Sun Nov 4 05:49:31 2018
Check You Tube 'Cheap Home Made Post Puller' by Erickkony from Canada. You may already have materials on hand to put together a simple lever.
Comment by PNW Jenny Sun Nov 4 01:35:23 2018
Wait for early spring to pull the tomato stakes. A succession of freeze/thaw makes the ground so friable here in NE ohio that I can push a rod down 2' just about anywhere by Mar/Apr.
Comment by Anonymous Sat Nov 3 08:02:20 2018
  1. Cut 20 ft. half inch rebar into stake lengths. Use vice grips to twist back and forth till loose. This is much cheaper than normal stakes.

2. With standard stakes, use a 2x4 fastened with rope, wire or chain to the stake.

Comment by Errol Hess Sat Nov 3 07:04:09 2018
Yes, I would have to agree about the flu shot comment and was surprised to read this too. They are ineffective, have mercury adjuvants, and can cause a lot of problems. Definitely not worth the risk and most often are a crap shoot at treating the current years' flu. I believe I got my Crohn's disease from some Hepatitis shots I had to get at work during the winter Olympics in our city. This has taken me over 25 years to figure out and most of the good years of my life spent dealing with this nasty thing. I was also told I had to get them every year by my doctor because my immune system was compromised by the drugs I was on to deal with the disease. A big giant load, to be sure. It's big money for the pharma companies so health agencies push them a lot. I hope you will look into this for future decisions.
Comment by Commenter Fri Nov 2 21:01:01 2018
The answer to using corrugated cardboard is to cut it up with a simple "guillotine-style" paper cutter, rather than tearing it by hand.
Comment by Jerry . Fri Nov 2 01:25:38 2018