The Walden Effect: Homesteading Year 5. Farming, simple living, permaculture, and invention.

Homestead Blog

Innovations:

Homesteading Tags

Recent Comments

Blog Archive

User Pages

About Us

Submission guidelines

Store

Homesteading and Simple Living Comments

Comments in the moderation queue: 0

View the most recent comments below. To join in the discussion (or see a comment thread in order), click on the title of a comment, then follow the directions on the subsequent page to add a comment of your own.

Just wanted to add, that I tried Tom's shoe Glue, on my Teva's and it seems to be working so far, just as reported!
Comment by russ Fri Apr 20 14:23:17 2018
Hi Anna, I’m looking for advice. I moved from the SF Bay Area to OR (USDA zone 6) last fall. I tried to gauge when to start tomato seeds this spring, but I think I started them too early. Now temps are 60-65 with lows in the 40s usually. My plants are already 8” tall! Should I keep them indoors, indoors at night, or just surround them with a cold frame to keep them cozy outdoors until temps are warmer at night?
Comment by Jennifer Fri Apr 20 10:15:00 2018
I have big flea beetle issues here. I find that sprinkling the ground around the plants with ash works very well. I also use diatomaceous earth when I have it. I powder that on the leaves and on the ground around the plants, too. I make a giant 'salt shaker' from an old coffee can or such. Poke big holes in the lid and go for it.
Comment by Tim Inman Thu Apr 19 08:51:02 2018
I'm afraid not. :-/ It looks like they're hitting film festivals this month. But Mark said he wouldn't be surprised if the movie is available on Netflix soon.
Comment by anna Tue Apr 17 18:20:35 2018
Collective Ohio has been getting wetter & warmer - though for about a decade as mid-March passed what should be a steady Spring/warmer weather has been oscillating wildly. In short as now Winter can hang on much longer. Then don't be shocked if you quickly move from Heat to need AC. Ohio has never had good weather but it has gotten worse. Monsoon springs/hot humid summers/ then some real dip cold winters with heavy, long heavy overcast skies. A check finds Cincinnati gets more rain than London England and Seattle Washington. In the course of a year you'll find one true good day out of seven.
Comment by Jim Tue Apr 17 11:09:09 2018
Can we see it anywhere on line?? You Tube??
Comment by Jayne Wead Mon Apr 16 11:47:42 2018
Very nice, if you need to do a project but don't have the workshop space, there it is at a reasonable price!
Comment by Eric Sun Apr 15 20:31:37 2018
I live in Florida and I'm soon to be an agriculture teacher. I have built a rabbit tractor to reduce the feed cost of my rabbits. I have two rabbits that have lived in these conditions for over a year now with no problems I can see. Are there any concerns that come to mind that I should be aware of with this practice?
Comment by walsh nichols Sun Apr 15 19:42:03 2018
I wouldn't be as concerned about the body panel holes on a twenty year old rust belt truck, but frame rust..I have seen that generation Ford frame rust in half right behind the cab. Keep an eye on brake lines too, but I am sure you know that from your old S10 in VA.
Comment by Eric Thu Apr 12 20:45:16 2018
From Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (awesome source!) I purchased something called a "pumpkin yam sweet potato" because it doesn't have 30-foot vines but is more "bush" like. Never planted these before so this will be an interesting experiment.
Comment by Nayan Thu Apr 12 09:19:38 2018

Anna, Homesteading does not mean that you need to stay on the homestead all the time! It is wonderful that you are taking advantage of the many opportunities available to you in Ohio. Keep up the "outside" activities. I remember the time in early December when we had a two or three inch snowfall and I came home and you were out dancing barefoot in the snow, something you had not seen for a full year!!! You came in and said your feet were cold - DAH!

Comment by Sheila Wed Apr 11 22:10:54 2018
If the truck's still running and is a valuable part of your homestead then just FIX IT! I had a similar problem with a car. Went to an auto store, bought the "paste" they sell and "plastered" over the hole, sanded same, painted same. Sold the car a few years later.
Comment by Nayan Tue Apr 10 10:47:31 2018

Hi Anna and Mark,

Periodically spraying with motor oil used or not helps a lot.

John

Comment by John Tue Apr 10 09:39:02 2018
Maybe an oz of prevention is worth a lb of cure?
Comment by adrianne Tue Apr 10 09:04:24 2018

Anna and Mark,

I know the amount of the land in VA that you owned, but what is the difference between your core homestead in VA with what you have in OH? It sounds like you are doing more things where you are now since more is closer to you.

Sheila

Comment by sheila Mon Apr 9 21:27:22 2018

Hi Anna and Mark,

Awhile back I was looking to raise useful, tasty and little to no waste critters. One fit all that and if pushed can kill a lion in one strike. EMU is a large flightless bird that provides well over 150lbs of meat, skin can be tanned and used for clothing, boots, gloves or what ever you can make from cow/pig hides. They are relatively bright, curious and friendly. Their eggs are OMG large. Big enough that 2 eggs make 2 huge omelets. And the feathers are used in decorative clothing. Had a neighbor near Sacramento, CA who raised them. You might find them a good fit for your place. I live on our family ranch near San Jose, CA now and have thought of raising chickens but am not sure how much armor would be needed. There are, in no particular order, Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, Black Russian Boar, Red and Gray Fox that would love to have a chicken buffet set up for them. Hope all is good for you. Enjoyed reading your site and the pics. Can't quite figure what Mark is attempting with small log, metal handle and a bear trap. Did it work? Any blood or stitches? Take care and enjoy. -marty

Comment by Martin Seebach Mon Apr 9 03:14:12 2018
My trout lilies in NW Oregon are just about to bloom! I also just spotted my first fawn lily, that I'd planted 2-3 years ago.
Comment by WendP Sat Apr 7 12:37:53 2018

Hello, I am a third grade teacher and we are hatching chicken eggs with our students. I can't remember the model we are using - but it has the thermometer and hygrometer built into the unit. On day three, we discovered that one of our incubators was plugged into a very loose outlet and somehow became unplugged over night. This means probably about a 12 hour time frame before it was discovered. When we found it and plugged it back in the temp. reading was at about 77 degrees. I am so worried now about 'my babies'... So my question is about how critical the temperature is during this first week. Is there any way of knowing? We will candle them this coming week and might know more then I guess, but I am just sick at my stomach about it. Can you offer any insight?

Thank you so much!

Comment by Sue J. Sat Apr 7 09:59:52 2018
MIA
Maggie --- I appreciate your concern! Oddly, though, we've been posting every day. Maybe something's up with your browser?
Comment by anna Sat Apr 7 07:41:23 2018
Where did you go! It has been six days since your last post on April 1st. I hope all is well with you, and that you are just taking a break from the internet to enjoy your new location. I am so used to seeing your daily posts that something just felt wrong, no posts from Walden Effect!
Comment by Maggie Turner Fri Apr 6 19:51:02 2018
Cultivating any type of mushroom isn't as easy as planting tomatoes, it's much more complex. A mass of information must be acquired over months time of studying. Some shrooms can be started with liquid mycelium LC's while psychedelic mushrooms like cubensis must be started from spores. It's funny how easy people think growing shrooms is. Contaminants are one of the cultuvqtors
Comment by Lawrence Gasior Jr Fri Apr 6 16:30:44 2018
SH --- In my experience, chickens like the tender, small-leaved grasses the best. Something like bluegrass or perennial ryegrass could be a good choice, but it will depend on your climate and where you live. Definitely add in some white clover!
Comment by anna Fri Apr 6 08:39:52 2018
What a timely post - I have been wondering what type of perennial grass would you recommend spreading if I was planning on running chickens on it?
Comment by SH Fri Apr 6 08:26:33 2018
It was called that "Meadow Hay" in mid Minnesota- in dry years it always got cut and harvested, in wet years you couldn't get machinery near it! Grows nearly taller than the tractor.
Comment by Eric Thu Apr 5 19:15:08 2018
Reed Canary Grass is not usually a problem unless you have poorly drained soil, it likes wet feet.
Comment by Nita Thu Apr 5 09:43:58 2018
You need to come down to Flag Pond, TN, on May 9th, to the 30th Annual Ramp Festival, and even if you decide not to go, this article from the Erwin Record has some interesting tidbits about ramps, how their cooked and eaten. (See: http://www.erwinrecord.net/local-news/ramp-festival-set-for-saturday-may-9/),
Comment by Nayan Thu Apr 5 08:54:38 2018
Jackie Clay of Backwoods Home mag uses canary reed grass. She says they cut it early before seed heads form. Here's a link to a variety of her posts mentioning it; you might be able to glean some useful info from. http://www.backwoodshome.com/search-results/?cx=partner-pub-7411545515573536%3A8573169461&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=%22Reed+canary+grass%22&sa=Search&siteurl=www.backwoodshome.com%2Fblogs%2FJackieClay%2F&ref=&ss=1872j657536j10
Comment by Daniel Wed Apr 4 10:10:38 2018

Wanted to give you an update on some perennial kale I've been working on even if this thread is a bit old.

Since 2010, I've been collecting perennial kales and interbreeding them to create a more reliable perennial kale mix (grex) that can be grown by seed. Along the way, the kale has been adapted for disease and insect resistance, drought and heat tolerance, and cold hardiness - while maintaining good flavor. It's a tall order, but after a lot of hard work and selection, I'm now offering seed of a mix of diverse colors and leaf shapes of perennial bush kale that will be grow and reliably survive zone 6 winters as well as several months of heat waves with no water. It's bushing nature allows it to endure heavy deer pressure and consequently could be used as an animal forage crop as well. But, there is more work to do and that's how you can get involved! By working together, the best perennials that thrive in all sorts of climates can be found, vegetatively propagated, and bred to select to continue improvements at an even faster pace!

I've created a project over at the Experimental Farm Network where you can sign up, get seeds, and help collaboratively select and breed the next generation of better perennial kale that will survive in colder zones or more tropical environments.

You can see pictures, get seeds, learn more, and join the project here: https://www.experimentalfarmnetwork.org/project/14

Comment by Chris Homanics Tue Apr 3 13:47:16 2018
My only worry "all the seeds have fallend off"
Comment by Jayne Wead Tue Apr 3 12:54:51 2018
Nice one
Comment by Ibekilo Daniel Tue Apr 3 01:35:47 2018
Wow... if you thought it was bland, I'd probably think it was like eating air! I remember discussing differences in palate way back when I visited.
Comment by Shannon Mon Apr 2 16:47:16 2018
I must admit is doesn't look that apetizing. I would eat it, but I don't think Icould get my kids to touch it!
Comment by Carolyn Sun Apr 1 05:44:04 2018
I recently discovered that I really like arugula raw in a salad. I top it with a thin layer of spinach, a shake of balsamic vinegar, and a handful of roasted cashews. This is the plain boring stuff in a bag from Trader Joe's -- I hear farm-fresh is a lot stronger, which might not be for me, but if you don't like bland, might be for you?
Comment by irilyth [dreamwidth.org] Fri Mar 30 22:15:08 2018
Those look like some VERY robust plants! Thanks for the referral to the nursery - always good to get an endorsement.
Comment by Rhonda from Baddeck Fri Mar 30 19:25:47 2018
Oh so pretty... but... There's always a but. Deer care Lyme disease ticks. Better to keep them away from your place.
Comment by Nayan Thu Mar 29 12:35:20 2018

Have I ever mentioned the benefits of electricity? Or have I mentioned the time I got really really frustrated and put small pieces of aluminum foil with peanut butter spread on them over the electric fence wire? That time, the distance between the hoof prints at the foil and the next set was almost 20 feet apart. If I'd had that on video, I could have won $100,000!

After the coyotes scratched the siding off my hen house this winter, I put the high tension security fence back up for them, too. Only run it at night, and only need about 2 weeks on to train for the season.

Just saying.....

Comment by Tim Inman Thu Mar 29 09:07:16 2018
That is no hybrid that is a pure chicken called a turken or naked necks these are not turkey chicken hybrids at all
Comment by Everett Sun Mar 25 18:26:40 2018
Always better to recycle local— smaller carbon footprint & build local soil plants, environment
Comment by Jean Sun Mar 25 14:37:34 2018
My husband dumpster dives for cardboard boxes all the time. He gets a lot by just asking. The Dollar Store locations have been pretty nice about it as are furniture and/or appliance stores.
Comment by Pam Kaufman Sat Mar 24 18:01:12 2018
We have always just put two nails in a stump about 3/4 an inch apart, just so the neck fits but the head don't slid out, sharpen the hatchet and one blow severs the neck. You can hold them but if it's grassy just let them go and fill the wheelbarrow when your done.
Comment by wewally Sat Mar 24 14:00:09 2018