The Walden Effect: Homesteading Year 5. Farming, simple living, permaculture, and invention.

Homestead Blog

Innovations:

Homesteading Tags

Recent Comments

Blog Archive

User Pages

About Us

Submission guidelines

Store

Homesteading and Simple Living Comments

Comments in the moderation queue: 2

View the most recent comments below. To join in the discussion (or see a comment thread in order), click on the title of a comment, then follow the directions on the subsequent page to add a comment of your own.

Thanks for this view --- I really appreciate it! I can't wait to see the whole thing (no more than you, I imagine! ; )
Comment by Terry Sun Jun 17 13:30:31 2018
Love the pic of your mom relaxing. You all seem so happy in Ohio.
Comment by KR Sat Jun 16 13:28:04 2018
You might change your mind about those turkeys if yours are like mine. Some morning later on in the season you might go out to the garden to get a breakfast musk melon only to find nice neat round holes bored through them - and the seeds inside missing! They seem to be just as voracious with melons as the deer are with everything else. 'Possums like melons, too. This year, I'm putting out some solar powered motion sensing lights for them. At least they can see where they're going if it doesn't actually scare them off.
Comment by Tim Inman Sat Jun 16 09:21:09 2018

I don't quite understand how you're using the ratchet. Can you post a pic showing the whole thing?

Thanks!

Comment by Terry Fri Jun 15 10:00:15 2018

Hi guys. Just curious if you could do an update on the hot water heater you got for your new place. I'm curious how it's done over the winter vs. summer.

Still glad you bought vs. a standard electric?

Love the new homestead BTW!

Jason

Comment by Anonymous Thu Jun 14 15:13:45 2018
Rhonda --- I'm pretty sure the Moonflower most people buy is a morning-glory relative. At least that's what we planted when I was a kid!
Comment by anna Wed Jun 13 09:15:18 2018
Why tposts and not 4x4s?
Comment by Anonymous Wed Jun 13 07:41:59 2018
You made me curious - off to Wikipedia I went. The leaves have a 'bitter and nauseating taste' so I wonder why they ate them at all. And the fatal dose is not much more than the 'medicinal' dose, so I'm surprised that the troops didn't drop like flies after eating it. The plant is 'foul-smelling' but the flowers are 'fragrant' - what a contradiction! Among its various names is "Moonflower" - do you know if it's the same as the Moonflower that's commercially available?
Comment by Rhonda from Baddeck Tue Jun 12 17:28:12 2018
You can do that but it results in weaker concrete. Probably not a big deal in your situation.
Comment by Anonymous Mon Jun 11 12:33:13 2018
My husband has this same one, and loves it! They say the quick tensioner needs adjusting more often than the bolt version, but not needing a tool is the trade off.
Comment by Minx954 Sat Jun 9 10:54:57 2018
Comment by Minx954 Sat Jun 9 10:54:17 2018
Thanks for saying that Tim. "There are no minor chainsaw accidents." is a Mantra I like to repeat every time I get ready to start it.
Comment by mark Fri Jun 8 09:11:23 2018

"Worms and cats will mix the manure in" Yikes! Cats "playing" in the garden usually means they're (to put it bluntly) shitting in the garden and then you have the possibility of getting toxoplasmosis from that. From Wikipedia: "Toxoplasmosis is a parasitic disease caused by Toxoplasma gondii. Toxoplasmosis is usually spread by eating poorly cooked food that contains cysts, exposure to infected cat feces, and from a mother to a child during pregnancy if the mother becomes infected." . . . "Toxoplasma gondii is considered the second leading cause of foodborne-related deaths and the fourth leading cause of foodborne-related hospitalizations in the United States."

Comment by Nayan Fri Jun 8 08:06:19 2018

Most horses are on a strict worming regimen so it's helpful to find out what type of grains and supplements the horses are on. And it's very rare to see organic equine horse feeds.

That being said, we gets loads of horse manure/shavings dumped here for free and I reuse it as bedding for the chickens and as a top dress for the pasture. Great stuff!

Comment by Nita Thu Jun 7 09:58:36 2018

You will love that little saw. I have two of them over the last 15 years to heat my home and keep the farm cleaned up. They are tougher than you'd think, and can do a lot of cutting!

Remember what the Stihl handbook says though: "There is no such thing as a minor chain saw accident."

Comment by Tim Inman Thu Jun 7 08:46:24 2018
I've heard finding out what the horse eats is important to avoid any pesticide residuals. Please advise as I'm about to have a new neighbor move in who is willing to give me their horse manure.
Comment by Karen Wed Jun 6 13:29:18 2018
Be careful that weed seeds aren't in the horse manure. My neighbor and I got truckloads of horse manure from a pool client of his and the damned thing had crown vetch seeds in it that kept sprouting, and sprouting, and sprouting, and sprouting and I'm still picking the seedlings in it five years later. Oy!
Comment by Nayan Wed Jun 6 10:00:57 2018
More of a bed tent, it actually fits under the mattress. https://www.privacypop.com/ The path to the bathroom runs through my wife's bedroom, this makes it easier for her to sleep/nap.
Comment by Ryan Young Tue Jun 5 10:51:13 2018

And what a fine holiday it was - can hardly wait til next time. Such a great visit with the kids! My only dismay was the beautiful peach that may never be ? So sad! Thanks again for all the the work and help you always seem to provide just at the right moment!

Comment by Jayne Wead Mon Jun 4 22:47:18 2018
I see a water cooler in the background. Can you give a review on it? I've been looking to buy one.
Comment by Anonymous Sat Jun 2 15:43:21 2018
For the past couple of years I reveled that the deer seemed to be steering clear of my early gardening efforts. But they then returned with a vengeance. Simple fact was that April/May/early June they seem to hide with their fawns. But then they all show up in force. Keep working on that fence! ;-D
Comment by Kris Thu May 31 08:10:32 2018
I love this idea, and I want to add it to the bee/pollinator friendly garden that I'm planning for my side yard. My question is this: what kind of marbles do you use? I was going to just buy the vase filler type from the dollar store, but then I got to wondering where they were made (China) and whether they contained lead. If so, would the lead leach into the water and actually harm the bees? Do you think polished river stones would work as well as marbles...the bonus being that they would not leach any dangerous toxins into the birdbath water?
Comment by Melissa Thu May 31 07:45:22 2018
The white-flowered comfrey is common comfrey --- the species most often used medicinally. Purple-flowered could be Russian comfrey, often used for biomass or animal feed...or a variety of common comfrey. Here's my post with ID tips: http://www.waldeneffect.org/blog/Russian_comfrey/
Comment by anna Tue May 29 19:56:58 2018

My comfrey had purple flowers. I see yours are white. I will be checking in to see how your salve comes along. I need to get my oil started but being sick this year has put me behind on everything.

JenW

Comment by bleueaugust Tue May 29 13:34:54 2018
Maybe you could tie a woolen sock or pieces of a foam pilow on a string and lower it down into the water, to sponge up that water, but that would be pretty awkward. In hindsight, you might want to cover the holes, so they don't fill up more... Or you might be able to stuff the holes with wadded up newspaper, that you can lift back out when they soak up the water. Good luck!
Comment by adrianne Tue May 29 07:52:16 2018
Why not add dilluted urine to boost nitrogen levels?
Comment by Anonymous Sun May 27 09:48:18 2018
Yes I am not a fan of 3d every movie I have seen with it has been blurry.
Comment by Anonymous Sun May 27 06:54:35 2018

Hi Anna and Mark,

I am wondering how the lessons of 'no-till' -- The one straw revolution -- might apply to making your lives easier?

John

Comment by John Wed May 23 10:31:16 2018
Outstanding - no other words needed!
Comment by Jayne Wead Wed May 23 07:10:43 2018
Check out the 35th Anniversary Edition- hope you like it
Comment by Anonymous Mon May 21 10:58:00 2018

Ahh, another memory from the homestead in Minnesota! We were fencing about seven acres, some meadow, some through woods, some in prickly ash and briar swamp... most of which the fence line was cleared by hand of course.

The corners were set, using mostly white oak posts (some of which still stand 35 years later) but the majority of the holes still were to be dug.

Dad finally relented, and rented a gas powered hole auger! But for just one day as he was the definition of tightwad..need I mention much of the wire for this fence was used wire we had to pull out of briars and rock piles on other somewhat abandoned farms?

The morning this roaring beast was to be used was the morning after graduation ceremonies and parties in the small mid west town. I was of driving age, and a friend of mine and I had attended a couple. Yes, first illicit hang over of my life and I had to act as though I was fine when faced with mom's hearty breakfast. Some of which ended up in the briars later. Nothing like trying to hang on to this bucking bronco of a gasoline powered auger while ones' head is pounding and the insides are churning!

Years later, dad chuckled as he knew I was hung over at the time. He thought it was pretty funny!

Comment by Eric Sun May 20 08:59:23 2018

I bought a 2' deep 6 foot tank to plant in- could not find an old tank. Our yard down in Savannah is very low and floods in the late summer monsoons thus I plant in raised beds and containers.

The farm store I bought stuff at has several with various plantings in them. What they told me to do was fill the bottom foot with rocks, then soil on top, and just leave the drain plug out thus I did not have to drill a new tank full of holes lest I decide I need it to bathe in one day or actually water livestock.

Comment by Eric Sat May 19 17:31:48 2018
Do you think the tree company would stop by again? And is that dust or steam coming off the pile?
Comment by Rhonda from Baddeck Sat May 19 14:36:42 2018
Thank you for this article. I used it for my reasearch paper for science and it was very helpful.
Comment by Anonymous Fri May 18 08:37:39 2018
Been there, done that. I once saw in a community garden in the next county where they put down old carpet as "mulch" between the rows of what was supposed to be an herb garden. Thought this was a great idea. Not! The weeds still came up between the carpet and it was hellaciously difficult to try to pull the damned things up when it was obvious that the idea was a monumental failure. Similarly, using some of the "garden weed cloth" that's sold in local stores had the same problem. The cloth ripped to shreds when the weeds came up through it, even though there was mulch on top of it, and some of the "mulch" I used was slabs of concrete. I finally found some professional 20-year nursery weed cloth that has done wonders and I didn't even need to put any type of mulch over it. Not cheap, but definitely worth the money.
Comment by Nayan Thu May 17 14:05:41 2018
We have a one-man auger that we bought a few years ago. It’s so much better than digging by hand, but the extra horsepower of a two-man would be great. I can commiserate at how demanding using an auger is!
Comment by Jennifer Thu May 17 09:53:29 2018

Yeah, at least around here (tropical rainforest Maryland) those pallets would turn into slug convention centers in no time. Believe me,I know. :(

Comment by Julie K Whitmore Thu May 17 08:34:23 2018
posthole digs you!
Comment by Roland_Smith Wed May 16 15:59:23 2018

Instead of adding just a few frames I added a complete box from an extremely strong hive that definitely wont miss it. I identified three boxes with brood, one loaded and two with lots. One of those with lots I took off and shook all the bees from it into the mother hive. I then put on a queen excluder and put the now empty of bees box on the top, top board with top entrances and the lid. The nursing bees came up through the queen excluder and some of the field bees came back in through the top entrance. I left it overnight. In the morning I took the top off the weak hive, laid a piece of scored newspaper on it and added the box from the strong hive, put on a top board with no top entrance so effectively locking in the bees otherwise the field bees would fly back to the mother hive. By the time they chew through the paper they will fly and come back to the new home. I've done this before and it works well. Course can always add the weak hive to the strong with the use of newspaper too.

Comment by valerie Wed May 16 15:53:15 2018
You know you're getting old when you can't do in four hours what you used to be able to do in an hour and a half. Sigh...
Comment by Nayan Wed May 16 10:18:25 2018