The Walden Effect: Homesteading Year 5. Farming, simple living, permaculture, and invention.

Homestead Blog

Innovations:

Homesteading Tags

Recent Comments

Blog Archive

User Pages

About Us

Submission guidelines

Store

Homesteading and Simple Living Comments

Comments in the moderation queue: 2

View the most recent comments below. To join in the discussion (or see a comment thread in order), click on the title of a comment, then follow the directions on the subsequent page to add a comment of your own.

Thanks...but I don't think it's unique enough for submission to the big boys.
Comment by mark Mon Sep 26 15:54:42 2016
Beautiful pic!!!! You need to enter National Geographic's contests.
Comment by Nayan Mon Sep 26 09:34:39 2016
I use Immodium myself. Sometimes you just need something so you can get out of the bathroom :) Nannie
Comment by Nancy Sat Sep 24 14:21:57 2016
My son has colitis and when he has a flare up he needs to reduce his fiber intake and limit raw vegetables and fruit. Hope that helps.
Comment by Anonymous Sat Sep 24 11:51:31 2016

I don't have first hand knowledge but have read a lot of good things about healing the gut with bone broth. Might be worth a try.

Hope you feel better soon.

Comment by Ned Fri Sep 23 11:20:05 2016

Hi Anna, I'm so sorry you're stomach is giving you such issues. I'm a celiac so I know those feelings well. Have you ever tried activated charcoal or bentonite clay? Healing your gut, in my experience, takes such a long time. Sending healing energy your way.

Susan

Comment by Susan Fri Sep 23 10:35:36 2016
I think I would try to find an alternative to Imodium. In my case it caused as many problems as solutions.
Comment by Peter Fri Sep 23 09:18:38 2016
Glad you are listening to what you body is saying and it is finally telling you something to go on!! Hope the good trend continues - slow and easy!! XOXO
Comment by Jayne Fri Sep 23 07:56:44 2016
I'm SO looking forward to a time when I find more balance with the homestead 'to do' list . . . and explore my own area more. Posts such as these remind me that I just have to make the time (I'm glad you are including these activities in your recuperation - warm wishes for your innard health!)
Comment by Charity Thu Sep 22 11:09:31 2016

So happy you were up to the day,and you two enjoyed yourselves. The day was beautiful here as well. Awesome photos, thanks for sharing.

Comment by Rose Hamilton Thu Sep 22 10:16:30 2016
maybe you are part bear?
Comment by mizztanya Thu Sep 22 09:40:40 2016

Hi Anna and Mark,

I read an interview with the MD of GAPSDIET.ORG. Bone broth sounded like a good idea anyways. Seems to help me. And seems consistent with the other things I have read.

I eventually bought her book "Gut and Psychology Syndrome" and am glad I did.

There are also a couple of very interesting things buried in some of the past Wise Traditions journal issues  [WestonAPrice.org - on line for free].

An article: Our Daily Bread by Katherine Czapp seems to me to talk about a cure.

A letter to the editor Summer 2016 "Centenarians of Costa Rica".

A letter to the editor  Winter 2012 "Miracle of Soaked Grain".

I hope you get back to good health soon!!

Thanks for all you do and have done!

You are an inspiration to me.

John
Comment by John Wed Sep 21 18:19:18 2016
I have been thinking about you since you mentioned being under the weather and trying to recover. I have no advice, just want you to know you ARE awesome and I'm rooting for you.
Comment by Becky Wed Sep 21 12:51:23 2016
I hope you continue to heal and I have found that adult coloring while scoffed at by many is a very restful and creative way to spend time after a stressful day.
Comment by Teri Tue Sep 20 15:26:37 2016
From what I've read predation is ineffective because of their high reproductive rate
Comment by Jeffry Tue Sep 20 13:44:41 2016
I had your similar symptoms start for me about 16 years ago. After many tests I was diagnosed with celiac and also microscopic colitis. The colitis only presents if they do a biopsy during a colonoscopy. I wish they would start with the celiac test and the biopsy while doing a colonoscopy. It would have saved me so many stool tests and other assorted fun procedures :) I wish you the best. Luckily the cure for me was mostly in diet once I got the diarrhea under control.
Comment by Nancy Tue Sep 20 13:21:57 2016

I have had several cats, my last cat was such a prolific hunter (even though there was a full cat food bowl at all times) that he ran out of varmits and was catching birds. This was not acceptable in my book, so he had to wear a collar with a bell on it. Maybe you need another cat to help out with the varmits. However, NEVER leave food outside at night. The raccoons and skunks love that and raccoons will kill cats.

My best friend had a cat that used to catch moles - most cats will not catch them. He was also very territorial so he kept other cats out of his area.

I just love my kitty. She will keep the house free of mice - that works for me.

Love your blog and hope your wife is feeling better soon.

Comment by kara Sat Sep 17 12:01:12 2016
If you feed a cat, he will be useless for pest control. He may look like he's hunting, but it's just playing.
Comment by Tom Sat Sep 17 10:39:55 2016
I have problems with voles eating my sweet potatoes - some years terrible, some not so bad. My cats can't get in now that I've had to put up a fence and electric wire to stop the groundhogs. Last year they seriously damaged about 1/2 my crop. I haven't had luck with trapping them, although I tried using Elliot Coleman's trap.
Comment by Katherine Fri Sep 16 20:28:53 2016

Hi Roland and Anna and Mark and All,

The reference is:

Development and Uses of Biofortified Agricultural Products by Gary S. Banuelos and Zhi-Qing Lin CRC Press.

Page 273: 16.4.2 - Plant Germanium and Biological Functions

This reference does talk about the dangers of inorganic Ge.

It also references Asai 1981 for the high organic Ge content measurements in Ginseng.

"...commonly named as Ge-132, as a form of organically bound Ge that is virtually nontoxic to humans."

Its a pretty good read. I got it through inter-library loan here [Concord, NH].

Pretty thought provoking :))))).

So yes, the organic compound Ge-132 is bioactive and health producing at least according to this author.

Gotta wonder how many other organic compounds there are yet to be discovered?

John

Comment by John Fri Sep 16 18:19:07 2016

You should be careful with germanium compounds such as Ge-132 (and indeed with many organometallic compounds).

Looking at the literature, mammals do not seem to require Germanium in their diet; it's not an essential trace element.

It is estimated that we take in approximately 1.5 mg of Germanium per day from a normal diet. Taking Ge-132 supplements increases that between 100 and 2000 times. This can lead to kidney dysfunction and failure. Over the years, there have been dozens of fatalities. In most cases where people survived kidney function improved after they stopped taking the supplement. However in general this recovery is not complete, and the people involved have to live the rest of their lives with reduced kidney function.

Many organometallic compounds are highly toxic or otherwise dangerous, especially those that are volatile, e.g. combinations of a methyl or ethyl group with a metal atom. Dimethylmercury is one of the strongest known neurotoxins (a couple of drops on the skin can kill you). Diethylzinc and trimethylaluminium burst into flames when exposed to air.

Comment by Roland_Smith Fri Sep 16 16:32:08 2016

Hi Anna and Mark,

I did hair trace mineral analysis on both my late wife and I. Very similar data?

Our shortages matched the local soil!

I add 1 teaspoon of Redmond clay to my toast most mornings to try to help with these and other hidden trace mineral shortages.

A Logan Labs Agridyne III test of your local soil might be worthwhile to check for any micro and nano trace mineral shortages you discover.

Another interesting tidbit I discovered: A believed to be important ingredient in many medicinal herbs is Germanium 132. Only there I assume if the soil also has Ge. Not tested for by most labs as far as I know.

warm regards to you both, John

Comment by John Fri Sep 16 10:49:54 2016
The texture is just like spinach, and so is the taste. If not sure, try maybe the tenderest, smaller leaves. I do so hope you can try them!
Comment by adrianne Fri Sep 16 05:45:57 2016
I look forward to the next ten year photo. Just be sure that you can still use the first two photos!!! Remember the 5" floppys and 3.5 floppys that no one, or almost no one, can use these days...
Comment by Sheila Wed Sep 14 23:03:53 2016
I see you had a post on both chicago Hardy figs and carpathians, do you know if Chicago Hardy fig will produce fruit if within 50' of carpathians ?
Comment by pc Tue Sep 13 10:00:25 2016
I agree with wewally. We had a few birds who kept going over the fence and trimming their flight feathers turned out to be a Really easy solution! My husband held each bird and I trimmed their feathers, and we were done in no time. From what I've read this should only need to be done a couple of times per year, so it's a really time/cost effective option.
Comment by Rae Mon Sep 12 19:56:11 2016

On the newer models, fully depressing the brake should release the pressure from the hydraulics system. According to the manual, that is only necessary when you can't get the lever to disengage. Using the throttle seems to be the proper procedure to engage the gear range shift.

It would be interesting to see the schematics of this drive system, since I'm always curious as to how such things work. :-) Especially since you don't see such a hydraulic drive all too often. I suspect that for high-speed applications the transmission losses would be too high.

Comment by Roland_Smith Mon Sep 12 19:32:55 2016
Trim the feathers on one side of the hen,makes it a lot harder to clear the fence.
Comment by wewally Mon Sep 12 15:07:38 2016
Yes, what kinds of problems are you having? I love my Icelandics, but they are flighty, so you need a way to keep them out of the garden. They're excellent foragers, though, good at evading predators, and some are good broodies, too.
Comment by Jennifer Quinn Sun Sep 11 16:13:51 2016

Hi Anna and Mark,

Always nice to read about your success :).

I have a small library of 'plant' books. And I am getting better at identifying common weeds. Particularly edible ones.

I keep wondering exactly what 'animals' add to the garden to make its productivity increase so much? Plant stuff -> animal -> plants and the plants grow 2-3 times better!

Also, the animals grow 2-3 times 'better' [more mass and fat].

warm regards to you both,
John
Comment by John Sun Sep 11 14:02:56 2016

Yes! I got it, too! Any chance you can include these ID queries on a regular basis? And maybe some of these would make great postcards--hint, hint!

Comment by adrianne Sun Sep 11 13:15:12 2016
Melissia --- We have a winner! :-)
Comment by anna Sun Sep 11 13:08:46 2016
Corn tassle
Comment by Melissia Sun Sep 11 08:53:12 2016
Oh boy! I've had troublesome flocks before and I bet you have too. Seems like once they get a bad idea going, the whole flock gets a whiff of it and all bets are off, like hopping fences or eating eggs. Hope you get it figured out.
Comment by Jennifer g Sat Sep 10 22:56:17 2016
I'm kind of curious what your problems are with these. Other than going broody at the drop of a hat, I've always found them to be easy and reliable. Don't get me started on my current flock of Rhode Island Reds, though. Not only do they peck at at you, they hang on. :(
Comment by Julie Whitmore Sat Sep 10 13:47:04 2016

I checked to see if there was a lever by the 12 volt outlet but did not see one.

It does seem to be important to hold the brake while shifting, but sometimes it seems to be between teeth in a gear and it needs to either coast a small nudge or accelerate for the shifter to fall into gear.

I appreciate the comment....this is our first experience with a hydraulic system.

Comment by mark Sat Sep 10 11:21:18 2016
Any possibility of raising those bridge(s?) up a bit with concrete block and attaching them so they won't float away in the next flood?
Comment by Nayan Fri Sep 9 10:02:02 2016
there are several websites where you can buy apple trees of named cultivars on their own roots(or just air layer your own), they don't have optional sizes (standard, half standard, dwarf) however using the stooling method would produce several clones of named cultivars with no need to graft
Comment by kevin Thu Sep 8 21:43:24 2016
Glad to hear you are feeling better, hope you are finding out what the culprit was!!!
Comment by Nancy McKinney Thu Sep 8 18:59:19 2016
I'm glad you're starting to feel better; garden therapy, even w/ the eyes and nose, is always good! Hope you're back to 100% soon!
Comment by Ellen Thu Sep 8 13:22:06 2016