The Walden Effect: Homesteading Year 5. Farming, simple living, permaculture, and invention.

Homestead Blog

Innovations:

Homesteading Tags

Recent Comments

Blog Archive

User Pages

About Us

Submission guidelines

Store

Homesteading and Simple Living Comments

Comments in the moderation queue: 39

View the most recent comments below. To join in the discussion (or see a comment thread in order), click on the title of a comment, then follow the directions on the subsequent page to add a comment of your own.

I guess you could say you are putting your money... I mean humanure where your mouth is with this new step! :)
Comment by Eric in Japan Fri Jul 25 20:00:10 2014
Welcome to the inner circle of humanure composting!
Comment by Eric in Japan Fri Jul 25 19:58:11 2014
Our local wastewater treatment plant recommends using humanure only on plants which are not eaten raw. The likelihood of foodborne illness is reduced then.
Comment by Rita Marsh Fri Jul 25 17:32:45 2014

I just came in from placing pennies in my tomatoes. While the blight hasn't been as bad as previous years, it still has affected my tomatoes by "creeping" up the vines after lower tomatoes have been picked. my vines are over 7 ft. tall and producing very well. This is first year that I haven't had blossom end rot and I attribute that to the amendments I used all season so far - a boron (borax), Magnesium (Epsom salts), and Dolomite lime mixture I read about online. I have exceptional results in my raised beds and Earth Boxes! However, my tomato vines are getting "leggy" as I keep getting rid of leaves and limbs showing the blight. I still have huge tomatoes on my Beefsteak and Mortgage Buster tomatoes. I'm going to try the powdered milk in addition to the pennies and I'll try to let you all know how it goes. I'm also going to put a penny near the roots of my Roma tomatoes that are just beginning to bear fruit. Thanks to everyone for their input here. Much appreciated.

Comment by Sharon Mizell Fri Jul 25 16:00:29 2014

You might consider sticking a thermometer into the hart of the bin when you've closed it.

Monitoring the temperature difference from the ambient temperature might allow you to check both whether it heats up enough to kill the pathogens and when the biological activity drops to background levels.

After the latter it should be fine to use, I'd say.

Comment by Roland_Smith Fri Jul 25 14:02:08 2014

You can't steal trash!!!! But, in this world we live in now you are a criminal for breaking the "code" it's not a law but a code among many hundreds of thousands that make you, and others Outlaws.

We need to circumvent these "recycling" places by creating Trading Posts with other "Outlaws".

Edith

Comment by Edith Fri Jul 25 13:23:21 2014
I don't think this will put you in the clinker, even if you do return to the scene of the crime!!!
Comment by Sheila Thu Jul 24 23:04:13 2014
Rose Nell --- Thanks so much for your kind words! This was another instance where I was sad the photo was too late for my bug book....
Comment by anna Thu Jul 24 16:55:12 2014
jill --- Unfortunately, that's not our image. If you click on the picture, it will take you back to the spot where we found it on the internet. Good luck with your book!
Comment by anna Thu Jul 24 16:54:37 2014
Karen --- My brother loves grape leaves, but I never enjoyed the flavor. Too bad, because we do seem to be much better at growing grape leaves than fruit. :-)
Comment by anna Thu Jul 24 16:53:13 2014

hello,

we'd love to use the sheep with the haha image to illustrate the concept in our book, Canada West Landscape Architecture

very cute!

jill

Comment by jill Thu Jul 24 15:58:39 2014
I love this photo. Keep this one in mind, if you ever go back to watercolor. Love mom roseanell
Comment by roseanell Thu Jul 24 10:27:44 2014
Anna: though grapes may take another year to arrive, do you plan to use the grape leaves for anything this year? Dolmades are one of my favorite things in the world to eat, and I think I almost look forward to eating the leaves more than the grapes from our vines someday.
Comment by Karen B Thu Jul 24 05:24:47 2014

Always a good investment, plus the safety factor that makes your mom sleep better at night. mom roseanell

Comment by roseanell Wed Jul 23 21:49:28 2014
Thanks for all the book reviews you do. I don't have a lot of time to read and when I do, I like to pick something up that I'm pretty sure I can get something out of. You make that a lot easier with all the reviews you do in the homesteading genre.
Comment by Robin Tue Jul 22 16:45:24 2014
I have a 100w solar panel and am borrowing for curiosity sake 3 more 100w panels that feed my battery. After the charge controller goes into dump mode (usually 10:00 AM with 100w panel and a 175 Ah battery) the Power Jack Plug N Play inverter goes to work. Usually on a sunny day we produce .8-1.2 kWh of energy that goes through the inverter. I have had the same inverter for almost 6 years and I haven't had a single issue. I have monitoring equipment attached to the inverter for information and records, it matches the frequency, wave form, and voltage of the grid power exactly. The worries about frying linemen in a outage are 99.9% wrong. The inverter requires the grid power to turn on and match the power produced with the grid requirements. Without this grid 'template', the inverter doesn't even allow electricity from the panel to even enter the device past the LED fault indicator. I wouldn't put 300 watts of solar into the 400w rated device because I would worry about over heating. A simple form of 'insurance' should the fan fail or cannot handle the amount of heat generated, is to attach the inverter to a 'control board'that is then attached to a wall or stud, with the fan/solar contact side placed so the heat is able to escape quicker and easier, usually facing upwards. This allows the heat to vent out the top easier and faster due to the fan and vent being on the upward side as heat rises. This offers a buffer zone should the forced ventilation of the unit fail. My inverter has been running consistently at 350w being since 7:00 this morning, it is now 1:30 in the afternoon and the inverter, while warm, is not even close to overheat. We currently have 400w of solar and not a cloud in the sky.
Comment by Tanner Johnson - CEO of Custom Coops, INC Tue Jul 22 14:41:42 2014
what a lovely story! i had one too, my hillbilly grandmother (and i use the term hillbilly with the greatest respect). my parents were very abusive, and the relatively little time i spent with grandmother enabled me to become a loving person in spite of that. we never, ever know how profoundly we can influence a child's life with even the smallest act of support or kindness, which i think is the best reason in the world to help a young person at every opportunity.
Comment by teabag Tue Jul 22 06:53:59 2014

Hello!

Yes another message from a production company! Sorry!!

I am a producer for Original Media in NYC currently doing a search for a Wilderness MacGyver. Who is that, you ask? It’s that guy who can make anything out of anything, when modern day technologies and machines might not be available. He’s your handyman in the middle of nowhere. If he has to make tools or use down logs already on the property for building materials - he does.

Think Off the Grid. Think of a guy who can make Dams, Outhouses, Smokers, Log Cabins, Fish Wheels, Hunting Blinds, Fences, Ice Houses, Make Shift Saunas, etc…. Anything made in remote areas that make use of the elements around you - is what we are looking for. A modern day Dick Proenneke!

Do you know this person? If so - I’d love to talk to you and hear your story. Please call or email anytime and look forward to telling you more about the project.

Comment by Matthew Mon Jul 21 12:29:37 2014
I'm glad to learn that basswoods may take a year off, our giant tree is just outside our back door. The arching limbs give great shade and we use the area under it to work on projects. Our back deck is there also and I spend lots of time sweeping and leaf blowing the various "droppings" from the tree. I think I hate the balls the most but can't give up the tree.
Comment by Teresa Lee Mon Jul 21 11:16:27 2014
And a girl, too, I think. Males have blue necks, though he may just be hiding his. Can't hardly take a walk in the woods around here without spotting at least one.
Comment by Emily from Bristol Mon Jul 21 08:34:40 2014
Not sure what kind of lizard is in the picture, but who wouldn't love something called 'skink' or 'gecko?' Plus, they're helpful in the garden. :-)
Comment by Jake Mon Jul 21 00:11:53 2014
They are the easiest critters to raise, they breed fast and very low maintenance compared to crickets. And you can even feed the larvae if you have too many. I have many turtles and this has been the easiest way to gut feed and get my babies fed.
Comment by Chloe Sun Jul 20 17:48:11 2014
If you plant half as many, there will be a total crop failure and you'll get none! Keep planting. :)
Comment by Eric Sat Jul 19 18:32:06 2014
I live in a heavily wooded area, and have a couple small natural-like water features; one in the front yard and one in the back. I too always have a lot of little tree frogs every year, but have not seen snakes of any kind for years (probably 30 years or more). This year, a housing development started building in a nearby field, and I found a garter snake in a front-yard flower bed about a month ago. I used to hear a loud frog chorus in the evenings, but it has stopped. I did hear one lone ribbet from the front yard the other night and sure enough, later that night the garter snake was hanging out by the front-yard water feature. Then, the next day I saw him swimming across the back-yard water feature where there are usually literally hundreds of tadpoles. That day I could only see one! The snake I have been seeing is not too large (maybe 12-18 inches long and only about a half inch diameter), so I wonder if there are many snakes. ??? At any rate, I definitely have noticed a decrease in the frog population at my house. I just hope he is eating as many pesky slugs as he is the frogs. Then hopefully he moves on to someone else's yard. He keeps popping up, surprising me, and creeping me out.
Comment by Jill Sat Jul 19 15:18:50 2014
I've been percolating an idea for our next chicken tractor...snow skis! There always seem to be a selection at our local Goodwill for just a couple of bucks. I'll let y'all know if it works out-I only have about 15 projects lined up ahead of that one! Lol
Comment by Angela Sat Jul 19 08:06:48 2014
Could you cut pieces of broken buckets into strips and screw onto the skid portion of the tractor to make sliding easier or maybe help with digging in?
Comment by Alison Sat Jul 19 06:58:46 2014
Did you use a French curve when designing the bevel? Then you could have the French Resistance?
Comment by Eric in Japan Fri Jul 18 19:37:48 2014

Niki is the foremost authority on this topic. She had a wonderful website dedicated to years of research. It is no longer on the web because a lot of people were stealing her work without giving her the credit. She now has all her work in books that can be purchased here

Comment by Edith Fri Jul 18 16:54:59 2014

You're absolutely right Doc .....

But..there is a slight change in the tactics to destroy freedom, and liberty. It is right before your eyes. It's called tyranny with a smile. They knew the old strong arm ways of Communism would not work. Now it's done differently. It's done by peer pressure to conform with the group using the Hegelian Dialectic to (re) create common ideals of peace, harmony, and community.... but, it's strong arm tactics with a smile because old ways of thinking, and acting are rejected. What you describe about America is gone, rugged individualism, common defense, sharing, harvesting ...so on and so forth in the way it truly was in the Pioneer days. The old ways have actually been tweaked to look like old America but it is not. Communitarians distrust and dislike voluntary communities. They want to control all behavior. Rights have been totally redefined. It started with the right of the injured to be treated at public expense. If I hurt myself it is my responsibility....no one else. But no .....people want to be taken care of these days so the snow ball has gotten very large now.

Responsibility has been totally redefined. It is up to me to decide what is best for me not the State. The State or Nanny State is totalitarian because it dictates (Dictatorship) what I can or can not do with my body, with my property, with my children, and with my livestock. This is not freedom, and liberty.

This is all very well documented online. It is hard to expose due to it being steeped in deception to hide the agenda.

Edith

Comment by Edith Fri Jul 18 13:01:20 2014
Wonderful post for a wonderful woman. I wish I could have known her as well.
Comment by Eric in Japan Fri Jul 18 10:18:37 2014
I enjoyed that so much, our childhoods sound similar and in my case it was my Granny. Keep the stories coming.
Comment by Teresa Lee Fri Jul 18 08:46:46 2014
That was beautiful. Thank you for sharing. (I had an Onie in my life, too.)
Comment by Julie Fri Jul 18 08:02:02 2014

All those college freshman who read the first half of Marx's "Communist Manifesto" should also read the second half: in it he predicts the failure of communism due to basic human nature. A group that starts out idealistically as a true democracy with each member having an equal vote will soon deteriorate to a situation where a select group will gain influence and then that group will naturally develop a single influential leader.

Because we are all different with different POVs and needs, the only way a communistic group can persist is if it becomes totalitarian: no dissent can be tolerated.

The American pioneers had a better system: rugged individualism interspersed with episodes of community cooperation for tasks like coomon defense, barn-raisings, harvesting,and sharing in times of need.

Comment by doc Fri Jul 18 06:53:53 2014
If you tie off to a stationary object such as a tree, then use your winch or come along at a right angle to the original cable. Newton's third law in action. By pulling at a right angle, there is no opposite force at first and then a slowly increasing force which should allow you to get out. If not enough, reattach between vehicle and object and go again. Having someone pull on or sit on the cable at the center can sometimes be enough.
Comment by Bryan Thu Jul 17 23:11:36 2014
Have you looked into a Virginia manufactured polycarb material call TufTex, by Ondura? It is what I will be sourcing for all of my roofing, and possibly siding materials for me homestead(auxiliary buildings that is) up here in New Market, VA this winter and following spring.
Comment by Matthew Thu Jul 17 19:39:57 2014
Just for the record, I am not an activist.....just an observer. I really couldn't care less about trying to stop all of this. I mind my own business, and expect others to do the same.
Comment by Edith Thu Jul 17 16:15:31 2014

Chris --- Matt's wild cherry definitely keeps popping up on the internet as the most blight-resistant heirloom. I've never tried it, but should probably add it to my trial list.

I'm less keen on the idea of grafting onto resistant rootstock. My understanding is that the rootstock only resists root-borne illnesses, and since blight tends to colonize leaves, I don't think there'd be any effect. But I'll be curious to hear your report if you give it a try.

Comment by anna Thu Jul 17 14:59:07 2014

This is pure evil, and it is the outcome of the comment on Anna's book review that I just made.

We have annual City wide clean up here in the Mid-West. The City puts out those large dumpsters. I and others would love to salvage what others don't need anymore. This is discouraged because everything must be thrown into the dumpster and a Mennonite volunteer comes with his front loader and smashes down the contents. This is outrageous. This from the Community developers who claim to care about people? No....it's evil. They do not allow people to care for other people, or for people to be able to care for themselves......they want people dependent upon the State.

Edith

Comment by Edith Thu Jul 17 14:29:06 2014

You have unintentionally pressed the can opener into a can of worms...

I live in a Mennonite "Community" although I am not a Mennonite but have close friends who are. I know their plans for the transformation of Communities but they themselves have no clue they are being used by the UN Agenda 21 planners who peddle their evil plans shrouded in glorious visions of a new world utopia.

If you really want to know what has happened to our Freedoms and sense of responsibility then look no further than the "Community Spirit" within our Towns and Cities. We are as a Nation becoming one with the Global Community intrenched in Marxism. Children are being trained in pre-school at a very young age to accept Communism and the sharing of everything. Have you knot witnessed the demand for children to share their toys with everyone? Now...as an adult would you or I share our "toys" with everyone? How about it? Your brand new car, truck or boat is up for sharing and you can not say no.....

Community gardens are just that....everyone growing for the good of all in the Community...share, and share alike....common ground, work as one.

Not many can see through all of this to their own destruction.

Edith

Comment by Edith Thu Jul 17 13:55:57 2014
I always was some mix between Amish and Quaker. Mennonite is like Quaker in some ways. Do you think I should look into it, knowing me?
Comment by Maggie Thu Jul 17 13:08:59 2014