The Walden Effect: Farming, simple living, permaculture, and invention.

New deer deterrent motor configuration

new deer deterrent set up 2011

I tried ordering the type of motor found in a rotisserie unit and instead of getting ones that ran on 120 volts I somehow mistakenly asked for 12 volts AC. I burned the first 2 out by applying 120 volts without knowing any better. They only turned for a few seconds and then smoked and sizzled.

It took me about 20 minutes to remember a transformer from an old cordless phone was still in the barn and its output was in the low AC range. 9 volts AC to be exact, a full 3 volts under what I needed.

The lower voltage makes the motor go slower, which is a good thing. Now the time in between clangs is closer to a minute as opposed to 30 seconds. I also adjusted the location to intersect with the two main deer paths near our blueberries.

I've got a feeling this new configuration will last longer due to its reduced speed and low voltage.

Anna Hess's books
Want more in-depth information? Browse through our books.

Or explore more posts by date or by subject.

About us: Anna Hess and Mark Hamilton spent over a decade living self-sufficiently in the mountains of Virginia before moving north to start over from scratch in the foothills of Ohio. They've experimented with permaculture, no-till gardening, trailersteading, home-based microbusinesses and much more, writing about their adventures in both blogs and books.

Want to be notified when new comments are posted on this page? Click on the RSS button after you add a comment to subscribe to the comment feed, or simply check the box beside "email replies to me" while writing your comment.

profile counter myspace

Powered by Branchable Wiki Hosting.

Required disclosures:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn a few pennies every time you buy something using one of my affiliate links. Don't worry, though --- I only recommend products I thoroughly stand behind!

Also, this site has Google ads on it. Third party vendors, including Google, use cookies to serve ads based on a user's prior visits to a website. Google's use of advertising cookies enables it and its partners to serve ads to users based on their visit to various sites. You can opt out of personalized advertising by visiting this site.