It's decision time around
here. Do we take the money we've been saving to improve our access and
sink 100 tons of rip rap into the 680 feet of terribly marshy floodplain our driveway currently traverses?
(That sounds like a lot, but I suspect it would be a mere drop in the
bucket.) Or do we use the cash to hire a neighbor with a bulldozer to
try to carve a path out above the floodplain, a task that might come to
naught if he hits bedrock too soon, and one that would require building a
bridge across a rather large gully?
Here's a bit more
information about plan B. After crossing the creek, there's easy access
up onto the knoll you see at the right side of this photo, but the
hillside the bulldozer would be carving into is difficult, to say the
least. There would be a lot of short-term devastation involved (although
perhaps not more than we cause on an annual basis tearing up the wet
soils of the floodplain). And our neighbor warned us that there's no
guarantee he won't hit rock before he's able to carve out enough earth
to make us a road, which would mean we had sunk our money into a project
with no improvement to our access at all.
If we were able to carve around the bank and bridge the draw, we'd be home free. Up here is where Joey's yurt
stood, and an old logging road runs between this spot and our core
homestead. All it would take is a little chainsaw work to make the route
passable with the ATV and it's all dry, with no creeks to ford or swamp
Want to be notified when new comments are posted on this page? Click on the RSS button after you add a comment to subscribe to the comment feed, or simply check the box beside "email replies to me" while writing your comment.
Powered by Branchable Wiki Hosting.